Can one enter Shenzhen from Hong Kong with a Special Economic Zone visa despite having a non-fully utilized, still valid Chinese L (tourist) visa? If it is possible, will the Chinese L (tourist) visa be voided?

Motivation: for citizens of many countries, Chinese L (tourist) visa are limited to one or two entries, and typically one entry allows a stay of up to 30. Using a Special Economic Zone visa would allow to avoid exhausting the number of permitted entries when just visiting a Chinese Special Economic Zone for a few days.

This question has an open bounty worth +100 reputation from Mark Mayo ending tomorrow.

This question has not received enough attention.

  • 1
    Great question - my brief search using Chinese keywords does not yield any meaningful result from official sources. I suspect there are guidelines not in the public domain (and hopefully people can find it), as surely you are not the first one to try and do so. – B.Liu Nov 15 '18 at 7:26
  • Obviously you an always use the tourist visa that you already have. If they give you an SEZ visa, the tourist visa will likely remain valid; and you could ask the officials at the border checkpoint to confirm that it will. On the other hand they may not give you an SEZ visa at all and refuse entry; either because it's impossible, or to save themselves trouble, or for whatever other reason. The rules for those visa seem to change quite often, so I'm not sure if you're going to get hard and fast rules on this from an official source. – averell Nov 18 '18 at 21:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.