Why does the Chinese immigration ask for the Hong Kong landing slip when applying for the 5-day visa ("Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Tourism Visa") when entering Shenzhen through one of the ports that deliver such visa, and can one still obtain the the 5-day visa if one doesn't have the Hong Kong landing slip anymore? I am a French citizen if that matters.

Hong Kong landing slip:

enter image description here

Quoting someone from https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k11283718-Landing_Slips_yes_i_know_i_can_t_have_a_stamp-Hong_Kong.html (mirror):

One circumstance under which you may have to obtain a replacement if the landing slip is lost would be if you wish to apply for a China visa whilst in HK.

The Immigration Dept indicates that passports may still be stamped under “exceptional circumstances” but that probably means failure of the computer system.

  • I don't think it would matter much.
    – xuq01
    Dec 29, 2018 at 8:27
  • they might ask for the slip because they want to verify how long have you been in HK before applying for such a visa in order to help them with the assessment of your application. that being said - I was never asked for this slip.. and BTW - the quoted remark speaks of whilst in HK and not the SZ VOA Jul 24, 2019 at 6:53

1 Answer 1


This is not common criteria - this is part of a simple spot check exercise to find people applying from VISA that did not arrive at the border gate by proper transport. For a period of about 6 months a few years ago I had move from a permanent residency permit in China to monthly tourist visa until my company was setup and I could once again get a permanent residency visa in China, and during that period I made frequent visa runs from HK to SZ and I also noticed this from time to time even at the land border between HK and SZ so I asked them and they explained it as "spot checks randomly selected for further scrutiny".

  • Thanks, interesting, do you know what happen if one cannot provide the Hong Kong landing slip if asked for it? Dec 10, 2019 at 0:13
  • 1
    @FranckDernoncourt I have never heard of anyone having any issues with that, that challenge is a HK departure procedure challenge if anything not fore the inbound country to worry about, I think they simply use it as a selection criteria nothing else Dec 10, 2019 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.