Applications for a Chinese L (tourist) visas in the United States can't be mailed directly to the Chinese Embassy/Consulate. As a result, many people use third-party agencies who accept applications by mail and drop them to the proper Chinese Embassy/Consulate.

I read on the website of one such agency, http://www.mychinavisa.com/special-requirements (mirror):

Citizens of certain countries, such as France, Turkey, Nigeria, etc., are required to apply in person at the Chinese Embassy/Consulates. The list can change without notice.

I didn't see this restriction on the other agencies' websites I have looked at.

Can't French citizens in the United States apply to a Chinese L (tourist) visa through an agency?

I'm interested in the case where the French citizens are also permanent resident of the United States (= have a green card).

1 Answer 1


I've asked a few more people and it seems that indeed French citizens in the United States who want to apply to a Chinese L (tourist) visa have to apply at the Chinese consulate/embassy in person.

  • French citizens typically (always?) require in person interview. It is not written rule. The reason I was given is that the French government requires Chinese citizens in the United States to apply for French visa in person, so the Chinese are reciprocating (which I understand 100%). https://www.visahq.com/france/requirements/china/resident-united-states/ (mirror): "The applicant must reserve an appointment and appear in person at the nearest Consulate of France to have their fingerprints registered."
  • Agencies can, however, provide pickup service after one submits the application.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.