I've been reading through various posts here on foreign spouse/UK residency, Schengen visa application - but my situation is a little different so I'm hoping someone can help clarify.

I'm a UK national, having lived with a Chinese national for 4 years in Scotland. She has permanent residency from a previous marriage. She has just finished her studies, graduates 2018, therefore not working in the UK.

We wish to travel to Paris in January. I'm assuming I need to prove we live together in the UK. I support us, and we will return to the UK.

Is this correct? I can't seem to find information relating to our cohabiting situation, and I'm thinking an agency may help me resolve this, or is this something I can resolve through TLScontact?


Assuming you're not married and simply want to visit the Schengen area as a tourist, a far simpler option would be to go ahead and apply for a regular tourist visa as a non-EU citizen. Being a permanent resident of the UK means your partner's chances of being refused are effectively nill, so you being an EU citizen yourself won't change much given the circumstances.

Source: statistics of Schengen visa applications in the UK.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.