This might end up a long post but please bear with me, I'm hoping you guys can provide some advice.
Some background info, I'm an Irish national and my wife is Chinese and we both live in the US (married in the US and Green Card holders). We are going to Spain, Portugal and France for 2 weeks flying on June 30th, my good buddy is getting married in Portugal.
Back in January my wife went to the French consulate to get the Schengen Visa. The french consulate employee went through my wife's docs. During the appointment, he noticed a small rip in her passport, made a joke about it but didn't seem fazed. So he approved the visa application, stamped her passport and went to send it off to the back office for the visa before he noticed we are not travelling until June and said it was too soon and that she should come back closer to travelling. So we were lead to believe coming back would be a formality.
Last Friday, my wife returned to the French consulate and when she sat down with the same French Consulate employee, he refused the application because of the rip on the passport!! And told my wife to get a new passport. My wife was pissed. That rip in her passport was been there for years, she was able to get an Irish and UK tourist visa, Japanese tourist Visa, got a US green card, traveled back and forth to Ireland, UK, USA, Canada, China, and Japan with no issues. So we were shocked that the visa was refused, especially after being accepted initially. The passport rip has not changed or got worse since the initial appointment.
My wife straight away set up an appointment with the Chinese consulate in NYC but the earliest date she could get was June 8th and it takes 15 business days to process so we could only get her new Passport back on June 29th and were are flying the 30th, so we could end up with no time to get the Schengen Visa. The French Consulate employee said we could come back to him and get the visa in 2/3 days which might be too late. We are hoping we can the Chinese consulate can get it done in less than 15 days.
My wife went to the Spanish consulate today but they wouldn't process the visa because France is our main destination.
We have a French Consulate appointment on June 21st where we plan to go most likely without the passport and just meet with them to tell them the issue and ask them how can they help us last minute as the passport could come in any day leading upto June 29th.
I don't know what options we have now if her passport doesn't come until June 29th.
- Is it even worth our while trying to board the plane to Spain on June 30th if my wife doesn't have the Schengen visa? Is it going to be a lot of hassle hoping for a long shot of boarding the plane and not being refused at the border?
- Does the fact that she has a valid UK and Ireland tourist visa matter? Could we change our flights and stay in Ireland for a night, then fly to Spain?
Any other thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.