I am traveling to Taiwan via HongKong, where I have a change of flights. I would be in the airport for 2 and a half hours [layover].

So, would I be needing a transit visa for Hong Kong?

PS : I have tried going through a lot of docs, but haven't really got a clear information regarding short transits

My itinerary :

Mumbai [Terminal 2] -Jet Airways-> Hong Kong [Terminal 1] --- 2hr 20 min layover --> Hong Kong [Terminal 1] -HK Airlines-> Taiwan [Terminal 2]

Taiwan [Terminal 2]] -HK airlines-> Hong Kong [Terminal 1] --- 2hr 50 min layover --> Hong Kong [Terminal 2] -Jet Airways-> Taiwan [Terminal 2]

All the above flights are booked at the same time i.e. both my Jet flights have same PNR and both my HK airlines have same PNR.

  • Important question: were all of your flights booked in a single booking?
    – Crazydre
    May 16, 2017 at 7:04
  • @Crazydre I have added that in bold in my qn. :) . I mean, I booked all 4 tickets in a single booking
    – Dawny33
    May 16, 2017 at 7:40
  • Good, then my answer stands :)
    – Crazydre
    May 16, 2017 at 8:28

2 Answers 2


Always refer to Timatic, the database used by airlines, about these things:

Visa required, except for those who are in direct (Air to Air or Air to Sea) transit if holding confirmed onward bookings, continuing their journey within 48 hours and not leaving the transit lounge.

So no, you do not need a visa

  • If I read the itinerary correctly, on the way back (s)he has to change from Hong Kong terminal 1 to terminal 2. That's not possible whilst staying airside, surely?
    – MadHatter
    May 16, 2017 at 6:41
  • Also "Both my Jet flights have the same PNR and HK flights have same PNR" might imply that there are two separate bookings (Mumbai-HK-Mumbai on Jet and HK-Taiwan-HK on HK). In this case, OP will have to retrieve and check-in luggage at HK which means leaving airside.
    – RedBaron
    May 16, 2017 at 6:44
  • @MadHatter If there was such a restriction, it would be clearly noted in Timatic.
    – Crazydre
    May 16, 2017 at 7:02
  • @RedBaron OP said all flights were booked at the same time, so it should be through-checked. But I'll ask
    – Crazydre
    May 16, 2017 at 7:04
  • @Crazydre I suspect it is: "Visa required, except for those who are in direct ... transit ... and not leaving the transit lounge". My question is whether you can transfer between terminals without leaving the transit lounge.
    – MadHatter
    May 16, 2017 at 7:10

No. Not needed.

The Hong Kong station has an MRT-like underground train service which the passengers can use for commuting from one terminal to another.

The officers in the stations are also very helpful. They would look at your boarding passes and would tell you which station you need to get down at.

Thus, one doesn't need to cross over the airside. So, the transit visa is not required in this case. [Timatic is perfectly right, as the accepted answer quotes.]

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .