I am an Indian national with a valid Indian passport. I intend to travel to San Francisco (US) via Hong Kong with Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. I have to transit through Hong Kong without exiting the airport transit area within 2 hours.

Do I need a transit visa (pre-arrival registration) for Hong Kong for this short duration?

1 Answer 1


You don't need a visa if you remain in the international area of the airport and your layover is less than 48 hours. You do not need pre-arrival registration unless you intend to enter Hong Kong.

From Timatic:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers with a confirmed onward (Air-to-Air or Air-to-Sea) ticket to a third country within 48 hours. They must stay in the international transit area and have documents required for the next destination.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .