I want to borrow a car of a friend in the UK on a regular, but only daily basis for traveling. I searched the internet for possible short term insurances. The car is registered in a EU country (Germany) and it is insured already. I want to extend the insurance for all damages caused.

For short term insurance companies I found I need a registration number of the car to apply. The car is not registered here (since only occasionally around).

Does anybody have an idea how I can borrow the car and being insured against self-caused damages? Is there maybe some platform somewhere the guy can register and I borrow over that portal, to circumvent the lack of insurances?

  • 1
    Not sure I follow. If the car is registered in Germany, to a German resident and spends most of the year in Germany, you will probably need German insurance. Mar 10, 2016 at 4:36
  • I don't think this is a question about travel in the sense intended by this site. From the way your question is phrased, it sounds like you're living in the UK and wanting to drive a car in the UK. The only difference from anyone else wanting to borrow a friend's car in the UK is that the car in question isn't normally in the UK. Mar 10, 2016 at 7:07
  • @DavidRicherby I am living in the UK and I want to explore/travel the island by car. I guess that short term borrowing is typical thing for travellers, but I might be wrong.
    – Marcus
    Mar 10, 2016 at 9:32
  • @DiegoSánchez the car has a German insurance, but the person is using it for commuting to Britain sometimes (thinks are different compared to UK insurances). I would have the option to borrow it for traveling.
    – Marcus
    Mar 10, 2016 at 9:34
  • You should add that information to the question. I think you have a higher chance of getting a relevant answer in expats SE. Mar 10, 2016 at 9:38

1 Answer 1


As far as I know you usually insure the car in the place where it is registered. If you plan to use the car for more than 6 months in the UK then you should register it there. In your particular case the easiest option would be to extend the German insurance to a comprehensive level for the whole EU (if possible), or find another temporary insurance in Germany.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .