I am planning a one-way trip with my private Aussie registered car shipped to Singapore, then transiting Singapore, Malaysia then imported into Thailand. The overland trip by car is something I want to do, visiting relatives in KL along the way. Hence why I'm not thinking of shipping the cat directly to Thailand.

The LTA in Singapore states that, for cars entering Singapore, a vehicle insurance certificate issued by a Singapore-based insurance company is required.

I have been unable to find short-term third party only transit insurance for the Asian leg of this trip. Can anyone assist with information?

  • Is there a reason you are shipping it to Singapore, then driving the rest of the way, rather than shipping to Thailand directly?
    – user13044
    Commented Feb 13, 2015 at 8:02
  • Hi and welcome. Could you add a link to the relevant authority you are quoting? Just for future reference. :)
    – JoErNanO
    Commented Feb 13, 2015 at 8:48
  • Thank you Tom for your response. The overland trip by car is something I want to do, visiting relatives in KL along the way. Here is the link to the relevant authority I quoted (LTA Singapore) lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/…
    – Alan
    Commented Feb 13, 2015 at 9:38

2 Answers 2


Since your car is entering Singapore directly via ship, I would strongly recommend you contact the company you're using to ship the car over: they will likely already have arranged this, or at the very least can point you in the right direction.

The one complication is that you're effectively only trans-shipping your car through Singapore, since you're heading straight to Malaysia. Have you considered having your car shipped to Malaysia (eg. Tanjung Pelapas, a major port right across the border) and then daytripping from there, or better yet, leaving the car in Malaysia and just visiting by public transport? I suspect this would be considerably cheaper and easier.


Every Border i have ever crossed in a car has had an insurance broker at the border. You can usually buy 7, 14 or 30 days insurance and it costs next to nothing.

I must have done 30 border crossing but i have never driven a foreign car in Singapore.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .