I am a South African wanting to travel to UK I have a residence permit valid till 2015 April for the Netherlands, this allows multiple access in Schengen countries, do I need a visa to visit the UK?

  • Are you aware that the UK is not part of Schengen?
    – Gagravarr
    Jun 13, 2014 at 16:56
  • Yes I am , that is the basis of the question so I may process visa issues should i need to Jun 13, 2014 at 17:07
  • 1
    @ZaneBashir All the usual rules apply, your Dutch residence permit does not exempt you from any visa requirement. You can therefore look at previous questions on this site or use the UKBA website to find out what you need.
    – Relaxed
    Jun 13, 2014 at 17:24

2 Answers 2


South Africans need a visa for the UK. Your Schengen visa doesn't automatically give you a UK visa but I'm sure it will make your application look much better. You can apply online at gov.uk.


Yes you will need a visa. UK is not a part of Schengen. Go to the UK embassy to apply for a visa in Amsterdam.

  • There are no embassies in Amsterdam (UK or otherwise) and the consulate general does not handle visa applications. A few years ago, applicants had to go to Düsseldorf (I think you can now apply through a private company but I am not sure).
    – Relaxed
    Jun 14, 2014 at 8:58
  • 2
    I double checked it. I notice they moved to The Hague. Contact info Address Lange Voorhout 10 2514 ED 'S-Gravenhage Telefoon (070) 427 04 27 Fax (070) 427 03 45 rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/… Here the official link of UK Embassy in The Hague. gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-the-hague Jun 14, 2014 at 11:01
  • I don't know that it “moved”, at least not recently. The government has been in the Hague for centuries and I assume embassies too. But many embassies in the Hague (including the British embassy) offer no consular services so the address is not very useful.
    – Relaxed
    Jun 14, 2014 at 11:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .