I'm a student in Spain, I have visa type D but expired date. I have NIE (residence permit) in Spain. I can travel from Spain to other countries but I don't know I can travel to multiple countries ? For example, Spain-Italy-France-Netherlands-Turkey-Spain.

1 Answer 1


The Schengen rules make essentially no difference between a valid type D visa and a valid residence permit.

Either of them gives you travel rights similar to a multiple-entry short-stay Schengen visa, and time you spend in Spain under a type D visa or residence permit do not count towards your 90/180 day clock.

It is completely permitted to travel between other Schengen countries (or between other Schengen countries and any non-Schengen country that will let you in), as long as you abide by the 90/180 rule.

As for the particular itinerary you suggest, note that Turkey is not in the Schengen area. You'll need a separate visa to go there, but holding a residence permit in a Schengen country you may qualify for an e-Visa instead of a regular visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.