I have a driving ban in the Czech Republic. Now I live in the UK and need to exchange my driving licence for a UK licence. Will I get a full UK driving licence or not, because of my driving ban in the Czech Republic?

1 Answer 1


To exchange your Czech (or any foreign license) for a British drivers license, you must fill out DVLA form D1.

That form includes the question “Are you currently disqualified in any other country?”

Lying on this form is a criminal offence.

You are also required to provide your existing license, which will be returned to the Czech issuing authority during the exchange process - its probable that they will also confirm your details and eligibility with the Czech issuing authority at that point as well, and identify your ineligibility at the same time.

  • And since people moving to the UK with an EU issued driver's license don't need to replace it, I am not even sure if they can if they wanted to. Commented May 20, 2022 at 11:14
  • @Tor-EinarJarnbjo you can - infact, if you want to drive over the age of 70 in the UK you have to convert it. Also, most issuing authorities require you to maintain your current address in that authorities country to continue to hold the license (for example, to hold a UK driving license you must have a valid current UK address, it cannot be a foreign address - if you live elsewhere, you should surrender your UK license).
    – user29788
    Commented May 20, 2022 at 11:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .