What driving license is required for driving in France from UK? Is it paper, card or both? The gov.uk site says:

You can use your Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence in all European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) countries

whereas the RAC page says:

A valid, full UK driving licence - both the photo card and paper counterpart

I would take both but I can only find my card license at the moment.


Theoretically you need both, because the plastic one is not valid without the paper counterpart (at least this is written on the paper counterpart). Having said that, I would be really surprised if the French actually bothered to look at the paper one -- I haven't checked it myself though.

  • 1
    Note that the UK has now abandoned the paper counterpart in favor of an online system. This answer was presumablly correct at time of writing but not anymore. – Peter Green May 20 '16 at 13:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.