How can I get a 1968 international driving permit?

My situation:

I believe that the American Automobile Association (AAA) in the United States only distributes 1949 international driving licenses.

If this is an option, I would prefer to get a 1968 international driving permit in the US, ideally not too far from San Francisco.

1 Answer 1


Because the US has not signed the 1968 convention, much less ratified it, you cannot get a 1968 permit on the basis of a US license. That your license was obtained in exchange for a French license does not change this.

Therefore, you can only get a 1968 permit on the basis of your French license. In addition, such a permit is not valid unless accompanied by your French license. So as long as your French license is impounded in the French consulate, you will be unable to get a 1968 permit.

Whether and how the French authorities would be willing to issue a permit to you depends on some other circumstances, first if all whether you maintain "résidence normale" in France.

  • @David thanks for pointing that out. I've edited a bit. I hope it is clearer now.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 1:57
  • You're welcome, it is clearer. Interestingly, the page you link to says an application may be made by postal mail with a color copy of the front and back of the French license. But as you point out, even if the OP had such copies (and otherwise qualified), until he has his original French license in his possession a French-issued IDP would be ineffective. Commented Oct 18, 2019 at 2:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .