I live in Boston, I plan to stay there for around 5 months and I have a French international B driving license.


1 Answer 1


Go to the local RMV (MassDOT RMV; 630 Washington Street, Boston, MA is the most easily accessible in Boston using public transportation) with:

  • Passport (+ I-20 if you are on F-1 visa)
  • French driving license + translation by the French Consulate (20 USD)
  • French "releve restreint" (called "driving record" in the US), which is given by the Prefecture in which the driving license was delivered. It can be sent by mail 1. We have translate this document ourselves using the template provided on http://www.consulfrance-boston.org/spip.php?article3022, then the French Consulate certifies the translation. (15 USD). To get discounted price for translation, register at Consulat Général de France à Boston: (by mail or face to face)
  • Social security card. See note 3.
  • Fill http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/21042.pdf (can be done at the RMV, they have copies of the form there)

Note 1: The "international" driving license that is delivered in France is useless to get a US driving license. You need to have the French driving license.

Note 2: To get the French "relevé restreint" by mail: see Connaître le nombre de points restant sur son permis


Faites un courrier expliquant votre cas avec photocopie du permis et de la carte d'identité à (pas eu besoin d'envoyer de lettre reponse ni de recommandé etc ... cool)

Ministère de l'intérieur, de l'Outre-Mer et des Collectivités territoriales
Fichier national des permis de conduire
Place Beauvau
75008 Paris Cedex 08

The letter I wrote (didn't give much thought about it):

Franck Dernoncourt
Phone: +33 601 187 123
Address: XXXX, 75013 Paris, France
Email: [email protected]


Actuellement aux États-Unis pour un PhD de 5 ans, j’aimerais convertir mon permis de conduire français en un permis de conduire américain. Pour cela, j’ai besoin du relevé restreint. Pourriez-vous s’il vous plaît me l’envoyer à l’adresse suivante: XXXX, 75013 Paris, France

Une photocopie du permis et de ma carte d'identité accompagnent cette lettre.

Merci d’avance pour votre aide,


Note 3: Regarding the social security card, http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/21042.pdf says:

You must also produce your social security number (SSN) that the RMV can verify with the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) as having been issued to you.

If you do not have an SSN, an acceptable written denial notice not more than 60 days old, from the Social Security Administration (SSA) is required. You must also provide proof of an acceptable visa status, an I-94, and a current non-U.S. Passport.

Note 4: A relevé d'information intégral de permis de conduire looks like this:

enter image description here

  • 2
    You will also likely need a copy of your I94, which can be obtained from cbp.gov/i94
    – Doc
    Commented Dec 13, 2013 at 7:11
  • 3
    In fact, international driving permit are useless for any purpose without the original driver's license (where and when they are required, you need to have both together).
    – Relaxed
    Commented Dec 13, 2013 at 10:42
  • Also, if your driving license is in English, and is machine readable, you don't need the international driver's license in most countries. Commented Dec 16, 2014 at 6:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .