I have dual Australian/British nationality and have been living in the UK for the past 8 years. I currently only have a British passport but still have my Australian citizenship document. My sister booked my flight back to Australia without checking if I can return on the UK passport and show passport control and the airline my Australian citizenship form?

I'm extremely worried as I leave in 4 days but only found out about the potential problem just now.

  • Have you phoned the airline? Feb 20, 2018 at 20:06
  • 1
    not as yet, i'm more concerned about the actual arrival in oz part. the airline would probably be the easy part but i will call them in the morning.
    – tanya
    Feb 20, 2018 at 20:13
  • 1
    Without an Australian passport, the airline is likely to require that you have an Australian visa associated with your British passport.
    – phoog
    Feb 20, 2018 at 22:12
  • 1
    Australia will let you in (they have to!), although it will take some time. As phoog says, your problem will be the airline. Feb 21, 2018 at 10:50

1 Answer 1


Normally, Australian citizens are required to present an Australian passport when entering Australia. According to Travel documents for entry to Australia:

Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia, and do not require a visa. Australian citizens need only to present the following documents to officers in immigration clearance:

  • a valid Australian passport or other acceptable travel document
  • a completed and signed Incoming Passenger Card.

Australians who hold dual or multiple nationalities should hold an Australian passport and use it to enter or leave Australia, even when using a foreign passport overseas. The only exception is where they have been issued with an Australian Declaratory Visa.

The same page has this to say about the Australian Declaratory Visa:

The Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV) is an administrative document that resembles a visa. It is issued in limited circumstances to Australian citizens who hold dual nationality, only if the applicant either:

  • is a dual national under the age of 18
  • has an emergency or other situation preventing travel on an Australian passport.

The Australian Declaratory Visa is valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the holder ceases to be an Australian citizen, in which case the holder will need a normal visa to travel to Australia.

Charges apply for this service.

The question for you is whether they would consider your situation an "emergency or other situation" that qualifies you to get an ADV. I would call the Australian High Commission immediately and ask them what your best course of action is.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .