So I am a dual citizen currently residing in Australia, but I need to go home to America pretty much ASAP (2 days) due to family circumstances. I entered Australia on my now expired Australia passport, would it be okay for me to leave Australia on my valid American passport to go to America? I would be staying there for quite some time and would then update my Australian passport? I still have my Australian passport to show I entered legally, it is just not valid to fly on anymore.

  • You will most certainly have to show both passports at passport control when leaving. If you just present the American passport, they will try to match it to an ETA and associated visit details and fail. If you just present the Australian passport they will probably complain about the validity. Not sure if the combination will actually work, though.
    – jcaron
    Aug 8, 2019 at 11:17

1 Answer 1


Countries generally prefer you to leave on the same passport you entered the country in. Of course this isn't always possible (citizenship change, for example).

The Home Affairs website notes for dual citizens:

A dual citizen is a person who is a citizen of 2 or more countries.

You become a dual citizen if you:

are an Australian citizen, are granted citizenship of another country and don't lose your Australia citizenship, or remain a citizen of another country and become an Australian citizen

Australia allows a person to have dual citizenship.

Of course, now you just know they recognise it.

And so they note, regardless, if you have an Australian citizenship:

Australian citizens entering and leaving Australia

Australian citizens should use their Australian passport to enter and leave Australia.

The Australian Border Force has more information on crossing the border.

If you have a passport from another country, you can use that after you leave Australia.

A passport is the best way to show that you are an Australian citizen. You might still be able to enter Australia if you are an Australian citizen without an Australian passport, but it will be more difficult. The airline might also stop you from boarding a plane to Australia.

Smart Traveller has more information about travelling as a dual citizen.

  • 3
    But "should" is not "must," so this doesn't seem to answer the question.
    – phoog
    Aug 8, 2019 at 12:01
  • 1
    The OP is also asking about leaving Australia, not entering. Aug 8, 2019 at 12:07
  • 1
    @jpatokal didn't I cover leaving? The linked "Australian citizens should use their Australian passport to enter and leave Australia." quote as well as "If you have a passport from another country, you can use that after you leave Australia."?
    – Mark Mayo
    Aug 8, 2019 at 21:39
  • 1
    @MarkMayo We know it's possible to enter Australia without a valid Australia passport, even though you "should" not. However, your answer does not clarify whether it's possible to leave without one. Aug 9, 2019 at 0:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.