What documents are needed a port of entry to travel on a B1/B2 visa with dual purpose visit? I have one-day business meeting and I'd like to travel in the US for a couple of weeks afterwards.

I have M Entry B1/B2 stamped on my expired passport; the visa is valid for a few more years. My new passport does not have a visa.

What do I need to show/say at the port of entry?

I am an Indian citizen and travelled to the US a long time ago on business for training. Last time, the length of the training schedule was convincing, but I don't have of that luxury for this trip.

  • Do you have any paperwork for the scheduled meeting such as an invitation letter?
    – user58558
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 15:41
  • Where are you flying into? The exact paperwork will vary a bit
    – Crazydre
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 16:03
  • @Crazydre how would the paperwork vary depending on the port of entry?
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 22:35
  • @phoog It'll affect whether OP will Need the blue form or receive an APC receipt instead. At LAX TBIT and JFK T4 at least, B holders are now directed to APC
    – Crazydre
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 22:47
  • Just curious, what are OP and APC? APC seems like some automatic processing line or something?
    – Seadma
    Commented Aug 24, 2017 at 5:31

1 Answer 1


You need to present:

  • Both passports (the new one open at the main ID page, the expired one open at the visa page)

  • Either the blue customs form you get and fill out on the plane (if flying to a non-APC airport) OR the receipt from the APC kiosk (if you fly into an airport where you can use it - in this case you don't need to fill out the form)

  • (on request) Invitation letter from the company with contact Details

  • (on request) Return flight confirmation.

If they ask, just tell the truth: you'll attend a conference for one day and then travel around as a tourist. No problems with that.

  • Thank you kindly. Would a draft invitation letter be available with you? The company is really small and new; in fact I am being invited to help them set-up their online presence and such. Thanks in advance for all the help. Have a terrific day ahead, Friend.
    – Seadma
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 16:27
  • @Seadma They should have the company name and phone number at the top of the letter, then start by writing "Dear CBP officer", and explain that you are to attend a meeting at this location at this date and time, and briefly explain what it is about. Then sign and if possible stamp it and send it to you via E-Mail in PDF for you to print out and present at the border only if asked
    – Crazydre
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 16:30
  • @Seadma Also, like I said: what airport are you flying into, and on what airline?
    – Crazydre
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 16:31
  • Thanks @CrazyDre, I've to go to MSP; but have No direct flights to land there that are affordable now. I need to be there next week. I've NOT yet booked myself. Need to get this letter from clients before booking so that I do NOT risk getting deported back. Thank you for all your help Man. What do you mean by Stamping it? Do they use rubber stamps in US? I thought it was outdated.
    – Seadma
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 16:46
  • @Seadma No, they use it. The border officials will also stamp your passport and either blue customs form or APC receipt
    – Crazydre
    Commented Aug 22, 2017 at 17:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .