My brother has a car registered in Serbia. I would like to drive that car in Dubai. I have drivers license issued in Serbia and drivers license issued by UAE on Serbian drivers licence. I have a family visa in UAE.

  • Is the car in UAE already? Aug 18 '17 at 12:05
  • 2
    No, that's the procedure that I have to do first, if it is possible to drive it in UAE.
    – Netzy
    Aug 18 '17 at 12:19

From this government website:

New and Second Hand Vehicle:

You can import new or used cars according to the import requirements and the following documents need to be provided if the vehicles are brought to the country by a shipping company:

  • The invoice
  • The packing list
  • The bill of lading
  • A passport copy (including showing residence permit)

If the cars are imported by persons, the following documents are needed:

  • A passport copy (including showing residence permit)
  • The Invoice

The imported vehicles will be checked and evaluated by the customs inspectors and customs tax of 5% will be imposed on the total assessed value of each car.

I fixed two typos ("backing list" and "cares"). I think the biggest issue is that it's not your car. In order to register it in UAE, you likely need to be the owner. You could try with a notarized letter giving you permission from your brother but I don't know if that would be acceptable.

  • Note that after you imported the car, you have a UAE car. If you ever want it back in Serbia, you'll need to export/import it again. It only makes sense for a very long stay and/or a very special car.
    – ugoren
    Aug 18 '17 at 17:49
  • Ok, thanks for the info. I plan to drive it for a year or two. I was thinking about driving it on Serbian plates without registering in UAE, since it is already registered. Is that possible?
    – Netzy
    Aug 19 '17 at 8:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.