I am from Pakistan and I am doing my PhD in Italy. My research paper has been accepted for a conference in the USA. I want to participate in the conference, but I am confused about what type of visa I need.

What type of visa is required to attend a conference in the USA: a B1 or a J1?

1 Answer 1


Attending an academic conference counts as a "business" purpose, so you need a B-1 visa.

J-1 is for formalized study or exchange programs of longer duration than the handful of days a conference will last.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .