I'm inquiring about a trip to Canada within the month. I am an natural-born American citizen with a dual citizenship of Iran by way of my Iranian parents. I have traveled to Iran once in 2011 with my Iranian passport.

I am worried I will run into trouble without preparing a bit more for the trip.

  • What sort of trouble? Do you have evidence indicating that people in your situation would have such trouble? Aside from delays and questioning at the border, I'm unaware of any, and I am also unaware of anything you can do in preparation to minimize the risk of such suspicion, or the impact.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 17:52
  • There's nothing you can do if they choose to harass you. Just live your life. Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 20:08
  • Even if the correct answer is "relax, there's nothing to worry about", I don't blame the OP for asking.
    – Golden Cuy
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 21:17

2 Answers 2


Canada and the US are two separate countries. It is the US that imposes restrictions for dual Iranian citizens, and even that does not apply to Canadians.

So just present your US passport or NEXUS card (or US passport card/enhanced driving licence if entering by land or sea), and you should have no problems, at least not due to your dual nationality.

  • Given that the US has detained for questioning at least one (somewhat prominent) Muslim natural-born American citizen, asking him about his religion, on entry into the US, the prediction that psyphr1 will have "no problems" seems unduly optimistic.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 18:48
  • @phoog Changed the word to "should"
    – Crazydre
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 18:50

Canada does not care about what other citizenships you hold. You qualify to visit Canada without visa because of your US citizenship, and being dual citizen makes no difference to that. You may possibly get a couple of extra questions at Canadian immigration if there is an Iranian stamp in your passport, but it will not be more than that.

  • "it will not be more than that": are you certain about that? Muhammad Ali Jr. was reported to have been detained for over two hours.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 18:51
  • 2
    That was in the USA. Commented Apr 2, 2017 at 19:13
  • A "trip to Canada" most likely implies a return to the USA.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 3, 2017 at 8:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .