I am a seafarer and my visa will be stamped after reaching Croatia. I have my flight scheduled from Mumbai to Dubrovnik via Munich (in a Schengen country).

Do I need a transit visa for Schengen?

  • Possible duplicate of Traveling through Munich Airport – Jan Jun 28 '16 at 0:43
  • It looks like you need an airport transit visa. There are several documents that would exempt you from that requirement, but if I understand your question correctly, you don't hold any of those documents. – phoog Jun 28 '16 at 5:22
  • @phoog seamen are often exempted when traveling directly to their point of embarkation. – JonathanReez Jun 28 '16 at 7:30
  • 1
    @JoErNanO we can, but that just makes the canonical question longer, more confusing, and harder to digest for the 99.9% of people who don't need to think about commercial shipping. There are enough different cases and exceptions and exemptions as it is. We ought to draw the line somewhere, and this seems to me to be a good place to draw it. – phoog Jun 28 '16 at 7:52
  • 1
    @JoErNanO I don't have the energy right now to read the canonical and form an opinion; I also don't know the answer to this question. They are exempt from having to get a visa before traveling to the border, but there seems to be no special exemption from the ATV, which is a bit weird. Leaving this question separate probably gives the best chance of someone who knows the answer seeing it (not that the chance is all that good, I suppose). – phoog Jun 28 '16 at 8:12

According to the Schengen Visa Code:

Nationals of the third countries listed in Annex IV shall be required to hold an airport transit visa when passing through the international transit areas of airports situated on the territory of the Member States.

According to the German Embassy in India, Indian citizens also need to obtain an airport transit visa:

All Indian citizens in air transit through Germany need to apply for a transit visa at the Consulate General

There are several exemptions listed in the Visa Code, but none of them apply specifically to seafarers:

(a) holders of a valid uniform visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by a Member State;

(b) third-country nationals holding the valid residence permits listed in Annex V issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America guaranteeing the holder’s unconditional readmission;

(c) third-country nationals holding a valid visa for a Member State or for a State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area of 2 May 1992, Canada, Japan or the United States of America, or when they return from those countries after having used the visa;

(d) family members of citizens of the Union as referred to in Article 1(2)(a);

(e) holders of diplomatic passports;

(f) flight crew members who are nationals of a contracting Party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.

Unless you fall under one of the exemptions listed above, you will need to apply for a transit visa.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.