Is there a way to find out if I need a transit visa for a layover in the UK? - This answer kind of answers my question, but I have a slightly different situation. My work H1-B visa to work in united states has expired and my employer has got my H1-B extension petition approved. I am travelling in a week to India to get stamping of the new H1-B extension on my passport.

My travel originates from San Francisco having a layover of 2 hours in Heathrow airport and I am going to stay airside. Since I don't have a valid unexpired US visa stamped on my passport, I am wondering if I can assume I am exempt from Direct Airside Transit Visa because I hold a valid stamped visitor visa to Canada valid for another 7 years even though my travel did not originate from Canada

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa - When I checked if I am exempt from DATV using this link, it clearly mentioned about holding a valid visa to USA, Canada, Australia or NewZealand, but did not mention that my travel should also originate from one of those countries in order to use the visa issued by that country to be exempt from DATV.


1 Answer 1


There is no such requirement that your travel originate in any country. That is why you do not see such a requirement listed. Merely having the valid visa is sufficient.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .