I am traveling from the United States to India via British Airways with a 4 hour layover in London. My current H1-B visa has expired, but I have the approval for my extension (I-797) and I plan to get the visa stamped in India.

  • Do I need a Direct Air Transit Visa (DATV) or a Visitor in Transit Visa.
  • Is there a list for the detailed procedure to apply for the relevant Visa.
  • Can I give and collect the passport in person from the consulate?

1 Answer 1


In general, Indian citizens do need a direct airside transit visa in this scenario. But you might be exempted based either on your visa (if you entered less than 6 months ago) or on the I-797 (but there are different types of I-797 so it's a little confusing). See gov.uk.

If you don't need to pass through UK immigration (e.g. to switch airports or collect your luggage), you don't need a visitor in transit visa. For a 4-hour layover with only one airline, I assume it's your case.

Since the airline will decide if you can board the plane or not, you might want to contact them to ask what their rules are.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .