If I have a visitor from abroad, do I need to add them on my auto insurance policy temporarily for them to be able to drive in Washington state?

I'll double check with the insurer, but I would like to also know about other people's experience doing it.

  • 1
    It can depend on many factors, particularly how long they are staying with you. Oct 13 '15 at 18:05

You should be able to add them fairly easily to your policy. Though it may depend on your insurer.

I was able to do this through 21st Century insurance (in Pennsylvania but I don't think this would be an issue anywhere else), the requirement was presentation of their driver's licenses and the IDP (International Driver's Permit) as well as copies of the passports. After that there was no issue.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.