I am a naturalized US citizen with a valid passport and I've heard rumors that trying to reenter the United States from the Philippines requires a naturalization certificate as well as the valid passport are these rumors true?

  • 4
    There is no mention of this on TIMATIC, and it would surprise me. Your US Passport is evidence that you are a US Citizen.
    – Calchas
    Commented May 27, 2015 at 19:56
  • 1
    @Calchas indeed, the passport is a more secure document, and probably more easily seen by the border officer to have been stolen or revoked, so it is actually better evidence than the naturalization certificate.
    – phoog
    Commented May 28, 2015 at 0:15

2 Answers 2


Definitely not true. A U.S. passport is enough.

  • 1
    Do you have any authoritative references for your claims?
    – JoErNanO
    Commented Jun 19, 2015 at 6:30

I found this document online which I think would answer your question. Click the hyper link to direct you to the exact document.

What is required to re-enter the U.S.?

All U.S. citizens, including children, must present a passport or other approved travel document when entering the U.S. by air. U.S. citizens can present a passport, a NEXUS card at airports with a NEXUS kiosk, a U.S. military ID with travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when on official business.

U.S. citizens entering the U.S. at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which are a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST, or an enhanced driver’s license.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .