I have a Work Permit (Tier 2) for the UK for 2 years, and would like to travel to various countries in Europe whenever possible during this time. I have no EU Family Members.

  • Would I be able to apply for a 5-Year Multiple Entry Schengen Visa using the Tier 2 Work Permit?

  • Would it help if I become a Temporary Resident of the UK?

  • 1
    You could certainly apply (and get) a Schenge visa, including a multi-entry one, while residing in the UK on a Tier 2 visa (my wife did, more than once). However you are not going to get visa that's valid beyond the validity of your UK visa. If your UK visa is for 2 years and you're applying from inside UK, your best case will be a 1-year visa. In reality, you probably won't get anything beyond 6 months. – Aleks G Sep 1 '14 at 15:58
  • If you have a T2, you are already temporarily resident in the UK. But regardless, you cannot get a 5 year Schengen without a substantial performance history. – Gayot Fow Sep 1 '14 at 20:37

The maximum you will get is a 1 year visa that too will depend on the embassy you are applying. Also it cannot extend beyond your UK Visa. I was living on Tier 1 and had applied for Schengen twice. The first time I got it for 1 year from the Czech embassy. The next time was just for the duration of the trip (2 weeks) when I applied to the Spanish embassy. Bear in mind that I had 6 Schengen visas already and that helped getting the 1 year visa.

Good trick is to mention that you will be traveling to Schengen states for the next 1 year and give a detailed itinerary for the office to believe you. You might not have tickets for your travels 8 months down the line but mention what are your plans. The cover letter should be convincing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.