So I'm 21, and my friend, he is 17. We want to travel to Canada for a vacation, this would be an extended vacation of two weeks in Winnipeg. I do not have a passport. What would we need to travel to Canada by car?


Getting into Canada is pretty easy, eh. Getting back into the States is harder, and Canada won't let you in without the ability to get out.

You will need either a passport, enhanced driver's license, NEXUS card etc. Check any airline's website for details.

You will also need proof of ownership of the car. If it's yours, fine. If it's your parent's, it's much easier if the registered address matches your documentation's address, and the family name is the same. If it's "your friend's", expect rather long delays at both border crossings.

(rental cars are easy, just ask the rental company for the necessary documents. As you are under 25 getting a rental car is nearly impossible.)

And as a side note, why Winnipeg? It's hardly the vacation capital of the North, and the summer mosquitos are rather vicious. Unless you know people there, the middle part of Canada is rather bleak.

  • 2
    Also, as a side note, your friend is a minor, you'll need the proper consent of the parent(s).
    – wbogacz
    Jul 20 '14 at 0:07
  • 2 guys, 17 and 21, heading into Manitoba? Unlikely they will be suspected of (human) trafficking or illegal immigration.
    – Paul
    Jul 20 '14 at 5:18
  • 1
    I once spent 4 days in Winnipeg in July (I know people), but for vacation it is horrible. I saw the interesting parts in two days.
    – Bernhard
    Jul 20 '14 at 8:55
  • Horrible = Affordable :)
    – Kaushik
    Jul 23 '14 at 20:30
  • 3
    If you live in Fargo, have little money, and want to go 'abroad', then Winnipeg is a great choice. Canadian Museum of Human Rights, Canadian Mint... Oct 15 '18 at 16:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.