I am currently in Michigan, I have auto coverage with Progressive, and I'm planning on taking a trip to Toronto with a friend.

My insurance agent tells me that they need to issue me a Canadian ID card in case I get pulled over, but this card only has my name in it. Is it legal for my friend to drive my car in Canada if I don't have a Canadian ID card for him? (I would also be in the car, but I was hoping we could take turns driving.) What could go wrong? For example, what would happen if my friend is pulled over in Canada?

1 Answer 1


You need a Canadian Interprovincial Insurance Card, documenting that you have at least $200,000 Cdn worth of third party liability insurance (all-inclusive). The card will be in the name of the insured owner only. Just as with your standard US insurance, any driver with your permission and a valid license will also be insured while operating the vehicle.

  • Thanks! I'm going to guess that the "Canadian Interprovincial Insurance Card" is the "Canadian ID card" that my insurance agent says he is giving me.
    – nukeguy
    Mar 2, 2018 at 5:33
  • @nukeguy It sure sounds like it is. Mar 2, 2018 at 14:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .