How can travelers full vaccinated with a Russian vaccine travel to Spain?

I see all the public information about that (https://spth.gob.es/info-pcr). That travelers should write a request to the Spanish embassy. How can I write this if the reason is a touristic visit?

  • 1
    I believe you'll need to have two EMA-approved doses before visiting any EU country, but have you contacted your local Spanish embassy? Feb 21, 2022 at 12:53
  • @gidds I edited question, now this is more precise
    – zagortenej
    Feb 22, 2022 at 5:41
  • 2
    Now we have two mutually exclusive answers (only one dose is needed vs. two doses), both upvoted. Could everyone please stop upvoting answers without actually checking whether they are correct? Upvoting incorrect answers is a disservice to the site. Feb 22, 2022 at 7:45
  • 1
    "I see all public information about that" - Can you show links to the information you have already found? Make an edit to your post with what else you have already found to help get good answers
    – Freiheit
    Feb 22, 2022 at 15:18
  • I put link that @NicolasFormichella post
    – zagortenej
    Feb 22, 2022 at 15:43

2 Answers 2


For Spanish authorities, non-WHO vaccines do not confer "vaccinated" status.

BUT, if you have the complete series of Sputnik-V (which IIRC are two doses), then you will only need one dose of a WHO vaccine (which include all of the EMA vaccines). The EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) will show that you have 1/1 doses of the EMA/WHO vaccine (you could also get one of those if you had been infected with COVID, since then only a single dose is administered as part of the regular prescription).

Be aware that the acceptance of vaccines that are recognized by the WHO but not the EMA (e.g. CoronaVac) may vary from EU country to country. We had issues with people who got the DCC at Spain but then had trouble in Italy because they only did recognize (at that time) EMA vaccines.

Source: I work as a programmer at a public healthcare organization and I have been tasked with the program that issues our DCC.


As I said in the comment I posted, you'll need to get two doses of EMA-approved or WHO-approved vaccine (or, if you lack your booster, get at least the booster as an EMA/WHO-approved vaccine) as stated by the official travel site

Sputnik V is in neither WHO's list (read the Status of assessment column for the list) nor EMA's list so you are actually considered unvaccinated in most EU countries

Exception can happen, but for touristic reasons they'll basically never happen

  • The website also mentions WHO-approved vaccines, what about that?
    – Relaxed
    Feb 21, 2022 at 13:12
  • 1
    Sputnik V is not in the WHO's Emergency Use List either @Relaxed Feb 21, 2022 at 13:47
  • That's useful to know, that might be the source of the OP's confusion. I found it earlier but I am still not sure I fully understand this table but does that also mean Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines are WHO-approved? That's another distinction that could be useful for other readers. Either way, on the face of it, the website your citing doesn't exactly support your conclusion. The point of my comment is that you could add all this to your answer.
    – Relaxed
    Feb 21, 2022 at 14:17
  • 1
    Sinovac/Sinopharm are indeed WHO-approved vaccines Feb 21, 2022 at 14:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .