What visa options are there to bring a team of people + speaker over from Malaysia to hold seminars and workshops in the UK?

Is it possible for me as an individual to sponsor them to come over? What do I need to do to be able to sponsor them?

Can a company sponsor them to come over if the company's activities are unrelated to their field of expertise?

  • 1
    related: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/77241/… -- if people are paying to attend these seminars, read those answers carefully. – Kate Gregory Sep 28 '19 at 18:33
  • 1
    @Sheens In addition to the comprehensive information in the question linked to by Kate Gregory, if you haven’t done so already you should look at gov.uk/permitted-paid-engagement-visa – Traveller Sep 28 '19 at 18:49
  • Thanks! People are paying to attend the seminars. @Traveller .... the under PPE visa there is no provision for speaking, only for giving lectures at a higher education. Do you think the speaker can get a PPE visa? – Sheens Sep 29 '19 at 19:20
  • @Kate Gregory it says in the link that the activity must be listed under the "Permitted Activities" list in Appendix V. But giving a seminar is not listed here. What is listed is giving talks & speeches if "these are not organised as commercial events & will not make a profit for the organiser". This is a commercial event since the attendees pay to attend. So which visa can the speaker enter under? From what I can see we can't use the business visitor visa or the PPE visa. I was told by an immigration advisor that the business visa can be used & this seems contradictory to the guidelines. – Sheens Sep 29 '19 at 19:31
  • How about the question of sponsorship? Is this a viable way to bring them over? – Sheens Sep 29 '19 at 19:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.