I recently spent 2 years in Australia working with my Working Holiday Visa. In this time I did little to no sightseeing. In almost all cases I was asked to stay longer by my employers.

My plan was to save as much money as possible over the two years so I could fund my continuous travels around the world.

I saved $30,000 in the 2 years I worked in Australia and wanted to do the East Coast over 2 months, fly from Brisbane to Bali and then travel Asia. In doing this I bought a vehicle to travel the east coast (silly I know). Now I have a car sitting in Cairns that I can't do anything about.

I left Australia last week when my WHV expired and flew to Japan to apply for tourist visa, now I am in limbo wondering what to do.

When I applied the only information I submitted was my flight leaving Brisbane, should I reapply with a cover letter, bank account screenshot, onward travel etc?

Am I better off going to an Australian Embassy?

While the eVisitor visa for travel would be nice, most importantly for me is the car I just bought for $2500 that is just sitting in my ex landlords driveway. If I can't get a tourist visa is there any 1 week visas that would allow me to sort anything like this out?

Is there any advice you can give me? Anything is appreciated.

  • Do you have any paperwork related to refusal which you can upload after blanking personal information?
    – RedBaron
    Jun 1, 2019 at 5:10
  • 1
    Have a mate sell the car for you. It sounds like you aren't likely to be returning to Australia any time soon. Jun 1, 2019 at 5:24
  • You couldn’t find time in two years? Then it wasn’t a priority, let someone sell the car. Jun 1, 2019 at 9:50
  • Not sure why this has been flagged as off-topic. Although the asker has recently completed a long stay in Australia, this isn't what the question is about. Jun 1, 2019 at 12:46

1 Answer 1


As noted on the Department's web site on the Working Holiday visa:

Stay longer on a visitor visa

Generally we don't grant a visitor visa after you have been in Australia on a Work and Holiday visa.

If you want to apply for a Visitor visa to stay longer in Australia and the Visitor visa would result in you staying longer than 12 consecutive months in Australia, you must:

  • show there are exceptional circumstances
  • apply for a Visitor visa from outside Australia

For this visa, exceptional circumstances might be that a close family member in Australia has died or is seriously ill and you need to stay.

Given the circumstances, the refusal of your application for a visitor visa is completely expected. The intention of the Working Holiday visa is for you to complete your travels around Australia within the 2 year visa period. It is unlikely that selling your car would be considered an "exceptional circumstance" that would justify the grant of a visitor visa.

You will need to arrange for someone in Australia to sell your car on your behalf. Assuming that the car is registered in Queensland, you can complete the legal transfer of the car's registration online.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .