my husbands new passport has a corrected middle name of ESPAÑA while his US visa that is in his old passport has a spelling of ESPANA. does he need to secure a new US visa? pls help! thank you

1 Answer 1


This is not a typo and does not invalidate the visa.

The US does not use special characters (those other than A-Z) for names in their visas. They have their own scheme for translating special characters into non-special ones which typically involves removing the special parts of characters, such as the snake above the "N" in this name.

As a reference, you can see this in the US visa FAQ for Germany (https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-faqs/) in point 1. I could not find a similar FAQ entry on the respective page for Spain, but the same rules should apply.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .