I have a visa for China and will be travelling from Botswana, via South Africa, through Hong Kong to mainland China. Do I need a transit visa for Hong Kong to transit to mainland China? I will be using the same route when coming back too.

EDIT: I am a Botswana national.

  • 3
    What is your nationality? Botswana? – lambshaanxy Oct 9 '18 at 9:04
  • As @jpatokal mentioned, please clarify your nationality as the answer depended on it. Botswana nationals does not require a transit visa as per Hong Kong Immigration Department's website, but a transit visa may be required for national of other countries. – B.Liu Oct 9 '18 at 9:28
  • Yes my nationality is Botswana – Slayar Oct 9 '18 at 10:06

It seems from the Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region that citizens of Botswana are entitled to a 90-day visa free visit. So if you have time, you may even sight-see outside the airport if you want to.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    For completeness, "have time" here means a hell lot of time, in the order of 4+ hours. See this slightly outdated yet still applicable discussion here. – B.Liu Oct 9 '18 at 11:55
  • 1
    Yes, good point. Enough time means a few hours to spare after accounting for the immigration exit and reentry. I just assumed OP would know that. – Newton Oct 9 '18 at 11:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.