I have obtained a work permit and residence permit for Malta. However, after obtaining the residence permit, my Schengen visa expires in a few days.

If I want to travel to another EU country for business or holiday. Can I apply for a Schengen visa in Malta from my country consulate? I am South African.

1 Answer 1


Malta is part of the Schengen area. Because you hold a residence permit issued by a Schengen country, you do not need a visa to visit other Schengen countries.

This is explicit in the Schengen Borders Code, at Article 6(1)(b), which describes the visa requirement thus (emphasis added):

(b) they are in possession of a valid visa, if required pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001, except where they hold a valid residence permit or a valid long-stay visa

To be clear, the term "residence permit" is defined at Article 2(16)(a) (emphasis added):

  1. ‘residence permit’ means:

(a) all residence permits issued by the Member States according to the uniform format laid down by Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 and residence cards issued in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .