I'm currently known as John A, my passport and current ESTA is in this name. My ESTA is due to expire this month.

I'm back in the UK now and I plan to change my name to John B. I will get a new passport and ESTA under the name John B.

What kind of issues am I likely to get next time I visit the US?

Will I have to have fingerprints and my photograph redone? Will this cause issues at the kiosk when my fingerprints and face match a different name?

If I am likely to incur issues, what documentation should I take with me?

Thank you in advance.

1 Answer 1


You won't have any issues, but you will need to get a new ESTA once you have your new passport.

To quote from the official source:

If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. The associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .