I'm a UK Citizen, I have previously visited the US under the name of, let's say, Joe Smith. I am changing my name to, let's say, Joe Barnes.

My passport will be in the new name of Barnes.

Do I have to acquire a new ESTA? And what happens when I visit the US? Will those machines that print off the slip show my old name or new name? And will this lead to more questioning on entry?

  • 14
    You need a new ESTA whenever you get a new passport, regardless of the name.
    – phoog
    Jan 7, 2018 at 16:07

2 Answers 2


You need a new ESTA:


If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. The associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application.

  • 8
    Your ESTA must match your travel docs. It is that simple.
    – DTRT
    Jan 7, 2018 at 16:11

When getting a new passport, a new ESTA is required, whether you changed your name or not.

The kiosk receipt will contain your current passport data.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .