I'm Brazilian and my boyfriend is French, but currently living in the UK. I will soon be moving to Paris (studies) so the travels will be less expensive and more frequent. We were planning on visiting each other every weekend, with me going one week and him another.

However, I do not hold a European passport and because I would have to fly every other week, I'm afraid I would be turned down and could never return to the UK. Any suggestions on how to avoid it?

I do not plan on moving there even after I finish my studies. My boyfriend doesn't even plan to continue studying in the UK.

  • 2
    You could apply for a standard visitor visa in which you explain your situation, provide your current financials including your job in Paris, and prove that you have interests in Paris which make it so you're not planning on secretly living in the UK. That would answer some of the border agent's questions, who is definitely going to find it suspicious that you visit twice per month, or even once per month. But YMMV, I really don't know whether they will accept such a situation. – la femme cosmique Feb 21 '18 at 14:29
  • 1
    So why would you not use the Eurostar and fly into London from Paris ? I can guarantee you if you travel so frequently to London from Paris you will be stopped at the border, questioned and maybe refused entry. If you still want to go ahead and do it, take the Eurostar so you will be refused entry in Paris and go back home, rather than sit in the glass cage at Heathrow airport and then sent back. – DumbCoder Feb 21 '18 at 14:29
  • 1
    @Neusser you could tell the border guard you applied for a visa for this reason instead of travelling visa free, that could help you at the border. I still think it's risky though, better him coming to Paris once or twice a month. – BritishSam Feb 21 '18 at 15:45
  • 1
    Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. Apply for a visa and if asked, state that you want to go every second weekend for a couple of days. You do have an EU visa and you do have attachments to France via your educational commitments. – Jim MacKenzie Feb 21 '18 at 15:53
  • 1
    Assuming the boyfriend doesn't live in London, then that probably puts the Eurostar out of the question. LA Femme Cosmiques suggestion is probably the best and if it provides you with something like a 1 year multiple entry visa, then solves your problems, for a year at least. – Oliver Houston Feb 21 '18 at 17:45

I'm afraid I would be turned down and could never return to the UK

Any time someone pronounces that phrase in relation to UK immigration, a magical piece of advice inevitably pops up here on Travel.SE:

Apply for an entry clearance/Standard Visitor Visa

Making an application for a UK visa is not particularly difficult in your circumstances as you're a non-visa national who is resident in an EU country and who was formerly a UK resident. It will cost you 90 pounds to apply and a trip to the UK consulate, but it will be worth the effort. Once you arrive at the UK border with a previously issued entry clearance, the immigration procedures will be mostly a formality as the Immigration Officer will be a lot more confident that he's dealing with a genuine visitor rather than someone trying to build up a life in the UK without going through the appropriate channels.

Note that the duration of your visits would still have to be sensible in regards to your status as a student, but going every second weekend is definitely more than reasonable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.