I'm really stuck and worried and wonder if any Australia visa gurus can advise. Any help is much appreciated.


In Australia, on a 417 working holiday visa:

  1. You can stay up to 12 months and you can work for an Australian company for up to 6 months.
  2. After 6 months, you must give up the job, get a new visa or don't work at all.

My situation:

  • Currently on a working holiday 417, I am employed full-time.
  • No further visa options are available to me (I cannot apply for a new visa).
  • I deliver a professional service to the business of which I am an employee. I have my own Australian business ABN, which also delivers that service.

What I want to know is:

  1. Is it legal if, once my 6 months expires, that employer contracts to me via my own ABN, to do the same job but in a contract role vs. employed full time?
  2. Surely if I have my own ABN, I can do contract work for anyone without limitation?
  • Do you mean a 417 visa? 407 is a training visa. – mkennedy Oct 4 '17 at 1:38

A webpage for this visa under the 'Meaning of One Employer' section says:

You cannot stay in the same position in the same location with an employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

|improve this answer|||||

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.