I am traveling from New Delhi to Warsaw and an airline which I am choosing has a layover of 18.5 hours at Helsinki airport.

I'm taking a Schengen Visa issued by the Polish Consulate. Can I leave the airport using the same visa or should I get a transit visa?

  • 1
    Finland is part of Schengen agreement. Jun 11 '17 at 8:54
  • Is the Schengen visa multi-entry? Jun 11 '17 at 8:56
  • 3
    @PatriciaShanahan It shouldn't matter because Helsinki to Warsaw doesn't go out of the Schengen zone. Jun 11 '17 at 9:03
  • @PaulofOsawatomie Good point. Jun 11 '17 at 9:04
  • The day we will get rid of all this madness will always be a day too late.
    – motoDrizzt
    Jun 11 '17 at 9:06

Both Finland (Helsinki) and Poland (Warsaw) are part of the Schengen zone. If your visa says "Schengen States" or the Polish equivalent, you can travel through any Schengen member state on the way to your destination and you will pass immigration the first time you cross a Schengen border (i.e. in Helsinki).

Your flight from Helsinki to Warsaw is effectively a domestic flight without immigration control. There will be an identity check which looks at your passport, but it won't be stamped again.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.