I am traveling from Egypt to the US using Swiss airlines. The layover at Zurich airport is 16hrs. I found that there is a transit hotel at Zurich airport next to gates B/D.

Can I access this hotel if I don't have a Schengen visa?

  • You will anyway pass the passport control as long as you are arriving from a non-Schengen country, even if you qualify for transit without visa. So, technically you will be holding a Schengen visa whether it is a transit visa (B) or an airside transit visa (A). Either way you will be able to enter the TRANIST hotel, which means it is in the airside area, unlike Airport hotel, which refers to hotels within the airport vicinity or close to it but not airside. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:20
  • Thanks for your reply. But I used to travel from non-Schengen country to US (three times before) without holding any Schengen visa. Is this a new rule? I traveled to the US passing through CDG (Paris) or AMS (Amesterdam) airports. Mar 15, 2015 at 13:49
  • Mohamed, I know you are not holding a physical visa, but you are eligible for transfer without a visa which requires you to pass a passport control, that's what I meant. Mar 15, 2015 at 13:53
  • Mohamed, come to the chat room Mar 15, 2015 at 14:07
  • 2
    @MeNoTalk: Is that a special arrangement for Zurich airport? It's not how international airports in the Schengen area are usually set up; they have no passport control for passengers transferring between extra-Schengen flights. Mar 15, 2015 at 16:50

2 Answers 2


I contacted the hotel and this is the reply I got from the hotel management:

Yes you can stay with us overnight, as we’re located in the Non-Schengen zone. All we need for a reservation is all your flight details from your in- and outbound flight.


Yes, you can, if you are an Egyptian passport holder or a US permanent resident.

As discussed in an answer about transit visas, if you are an Egypt passport holder, as stated in point 3, you do not need an airport transit visa in Switzerland. In fact, as an Egypt passport holder, the only country for which you need an airport transit visa is Czech republic. As stated in point 4, if you are a US permanent resident, it is also all right.

So yes, you can go to this transit hotel ("transit" as in airside located hotel). It is open 24 hours a day, but be careful it has 2 daily shifts, one daytime from when you arrive in the morning to 9pm and a nighttime from 3pm to 9am But you cannot leave the airport without a visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .