I am a United States citizen and studied abroad in England from September 1, 2016 to December 16, 2016 without a visa. I am now planning to return to London on March 24, 2017 and leave on April 5 2017.

Do I need to get any specific visa or is the fact that it is just a vacation allow me to not need a visa?

  • 2
    Does "temporary student visa" mean that you got a stamp in your passport at the immigration desk which said something like "leave to enter for six months"? If so, that was not a student visa; it was an entry stamp. A visa is a sticker that is placed in your passport before you travel to the UK, usually by the consulate in your country of residence.
    – phoog
    Jan 30 '17 at 21:40

You were in the UK last year as a short-term student, I assume you were admitted under Paragraph A57A of the rules, "Persons seeking to enter the UK for short-term study". You now want to enter the UK as a visitor.

Do I need to get any specific visa or is the fact that it is just a vacation allow me to not need a visa?

U. S. Citizens to not require an entry clearance prior to arrival in the UK. They just 'show up' and have a landing interview. This is explained in Paragraph 23A of the Rules...

A person who is not a visa national and who is seeking leave to enter on arrival in the United Kingdom for a period not exceeding 6 months for a purpose for which prior entry clearance is not required under these Rules may be granted such leave, for a period not exceeding 6 months.

So it's OK.

We always advise visitors who are returning shortly after a previous visit to be careful to carry supporting documentation because there's always the possibility of running afoul of Paragraph 320 (1)...

the fact that entry is being sought for a purpose not covered by these Rules;

There are some removal cases in the archives here bearing this out. If your landing interview is successful, you will be admitted under Appendix V of the Rules.

That constitutes your answer along with all the relevant links.


Until Mrs May pulls something like Trump has done, you don't need a visa. You would even be allowed some studying (up to 30 days) provided incidental to (not the main reason for your) trip.

  • 1
    Non sequitur and inappropriate.
    – Johns-305
    Jan 31 '17 at 3:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.