My I-20 and passport were taken during my interview. I got my visa approved and collected my passport but not my I-20. When I mailed them regarding this issue, even though my visa was approved, they are saying it's still under administrative processing.

How can I get my I-20 back as it is important for travel?

My travel date is on 22 Dec 2016.

Can you help me in getting my I-20 as quickly as possible?

I also tried contacting the college about the issue. They said as it is with the consulate, that I should collect it from them.

My passport was collected and visa was approved but my I-20, that was taken along with my passport during the interview, was not returned. As I need my I-20 to travel, can anyone suggest or guide me how to get my I-20 (my travel date is 23-12-16!) ?

  • Something doesn't make sense here. You received your passport back? Did the consulate place a visa in it? Dec 15, 2016 at 4:09
  • Did you get a visa? If you don't know what a visa is, it's a sticker with a photograph placed on a page in your passport. If you didn't get it, unfortunately you've been rejected and won't be able to move to the US for now.
    – Crazydre
    Dec 15, 2016 at 4:45
  • If you collected your passport, then either you have the visa or you don't. Just check your passport to see if it contains a visa or not. Dec 15, 2016 at 6:27
  • 1
    @BurhanKhalid the visa isn't terribly useful without a valid I-20.
    – phoog
    Dec 15, 2016 at 13:54
  • 1
    Yes , I did get my Visa . I need my I-20
    – karthik
    Dec 16, 2016 at 4:15

1 Answer 1


You can can make an appointment and physically go to the embassy to retrieve your I20. You should not have a problem if you're standing in front of someone and explaining because this is a trivial issue. You're probably getting email responses from some novice at the embassy. If you're unable to receive the I-20 back because it was either lost or something else, so far as your visa is valid you can go the alternative route.

Your school's International Student Services can issue a replacement I-20 or DS-2019 if yours is lost, damaged, or stolen. Reprinted I-20s and DS-2019s are tracked in SEVIS by the Department of Homeland Security, so you should request a replacement only if your I-20 or DS-2019 has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

It takes 7-10 days however you can expedite it if it's very urgent by explaining to your international student services counselor.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .