I'm an Australian citizen, and I hold an E3 visa to work in the US. Can I still travel to the US for a holiday on the visa waiver program?

  • Huh? Why do you want to travel with an ESTA when you have an E-3 visa already...? I don't understand this... – chx Jun 9 '16 at 2:43
  • Thanks for commenting, but the problem isn't the why. I'd like to know if it's possible. – okay56k Jun 9 '16 at 2:44
  • I wonder how you will answer the ESTA question "Are you seeking to work in the US?" – Nate Eldredge Jun 9 '16 at 3:00
  • As @NateEldredge pointed out more clearly and I vaguely hinted at, the answer is very likely no but we can't give you an answer until we know more. Say, if your E-3 is valid from a future date and you want to attend a job interview on an ESTA that is doable. But if the E-3 is in effect why on earth do you need an ESTA? – chx Jun 9 '16 at 3:05
  • @chx perhaps he wants to go be a tourist. Can you do that with an E-3 visa? – phoog Jun 9 '16 at 3:13

Sure. If you want to go to the US, and the trip isn't for an E-3 purpose, but does qualify you as a visitor for business or pleasure, you can enter on the VWP or a B-1/B-2 visa.

I'm not sure what would disqualify you from traveling as an E-3 but not as a B or VWP visitor, but I imagine there might be reasons such relating to your US employment, or perhaps simply wanting to visit for pleasure.

It may also be possible to travel for pleasure on your E-3, though, which would save you 14 bucks. I don't know whether that is the case.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.