South Korea and Japan in March 2016 and I would like to know if I am able to take chocolate and toffees with me from England to eat while I am there.

  • For future readers remember that spreads like nutella are considered liquids so they might take it away from you. Oh yes, I once ate a 800g nutella jar in under an hour. You don't just throw nutella away. It is considered a sinful act in my religion. Commented Feb 22, 2016 at 5:20

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can. I'm not aware of any country in the world that does not permit importing (commercially manufactured) chocolate and toffee.

That said, I'm not sure you need to, since high-quality chocolate is very easy to find in Japan and Korea, with wide selections available in any convenience store. Sure, it's not going to be exactly the same as in the UK, but that's one of the joys of travel!

  • Indeed, products containing milk that has been processed to the degree as is the case for chocolate are usually not subject to any restrictions on dairy products. As for your second paragraph, at least in China, chocolate is almost non-existent (at least compared to the degree of chocolatification I'm used to from Germany), so it always makes for a nice gift for hosts. Commented Feb 20, 2016 at 13:42
  • A wide array of chocolate candy and other products are readily available in stores in Beijing and Taiyuan I can say. Not in the smaller convenience stores but certainly in any of the many department stores. Chinese-style bakeries might not use a lot, but plenty of western-style bakeries in those cities do. Indeed chocolate makes a good gift for hosts in China but I always get it there. Commented Feb 20, 2016 at 15:48
  • With the exception of Kinder Eggs into America, but that's not because of the chocolate per se. Commented Feb 20, 2016 at 19:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .