I'm a US citizen from Buffalo and I'll be flying into Toronto next week with my Spanish partner. My dad is picking us up from the Toronto airport and we're driving to Buffalo. My questions are:

Does my Spanish partner have to do anything special to enter Canada, like an ESTA form? He has his ESTA for crossing into the US.

If we have 5 bottles of wine between the two of us, is that ok? Is there a limit? If we have to pay duty on one of the bottles (say the limit is 2 per person), how much will it cost?

Thanks for any help!

1 Answer 1


They will require an ETA if arriving by air. This is not required when crossing land borders.

The duty-free allowance for Canada when entering from the US is 1.5L of wine per person, so if your bottles are 750mL, you'll be one bottle over the limit. The Canadian duty calculator will help you figure out the cost; as an example, the duty on a bottle of 15% wine that costs $20 is quoted at $11.23.

  • But they are arriving by air to Canada. Three months from now, this answer will be out of date.
    – gerrit
    Dec 13, 2015 at 13:27
  • Thank you jpatokal! That's exactly the answer I was looking for! Dec 13, 2015 at 15:50
  • @gerrit In three months, someone can edit the answer if necessary. Dec 13, 2015 at 17:21
  • @gerrit Good catch, fixed! I didn't realize they were driving from Toronto to Buffalo, not the other way around... Dec 14, 2015 at 6:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .