I am a Russian citizen currently living in Switzerland (I have a Bewilligung C permit, which gives me a Schengen visa), and I am travelling to Russia soon to visit family there. I've heard that I will have trouble returning from Russia without proper verification that I live in Switzerland. Will I have any difficulty leaving the country, and if so, what exactly would I have to do to ensure that I can travel back to Switzerland?

  • 2
    Will you be re-entering the Schengen area in Switzerland (at an airport, presumably) or through another country? Oct 4, 2015 at 21:43
  • I'll be flying in from Zurich to Moscow, and returning by the same route
    – Pointfree
    Oct 4, 2015 at 21:57
  • Why can't you present your Bewilligung permit at immigration? Oct 5, 2015 at 0:42
  • Did you hear that rumour from a reliable source?
    – Gayot Fow
    Oct 5, 2015 at 2:15
  • I don't see why Russia would care, and you have a permanent residence permit anyway. Oct 5, 2015 at 2:39

1 Answer 1


As a Russian national with foreign residency (including foreign citizenship), you are now required to declare it to the Russian government. There is a high probability that you will be asked to show proof that you've declared it (the office that does it will give you a little slip of paper) when you try to leave Russia - they will see that you are going to a country that requires visas from Russians and either see your resident visa if it's in your passport or ask for it if it's a separate card. There is a fine for not declaring foreign residency/citizenship. My Russian is not very good (my wife had to do this), but if you search around a bit in Russian you should find the relevant info.

  • Thanks. What exactly would I need to declare it though? Just my residency card, or proof of work/address/etc... Also, how long would it take, roughly, because I'll only be there for a week
    – Pointfree
    Oct 5, 2015 at 11:23
  • As I said, I can't find much info on this in English for obvious reasons and my Russian isn't good enough to sort through the FMS site. See e.g. here (rferl.org/content/russia-expatriates-dual-citizenship-law/…). I believe all you need is your residency card, maybe your domestic and foreign passports - I would bring the originals and copies of all of those. It is all done in one visit, but it's impossible to predict how long Russian bureaucracy could take - the procedure is simple but there could be a long wait at the office.
    – hyrate
    Oct 5, 2015 at 11:31
  • Oh, I forgot something that that article mentions - you can cancel the registration of your residency in Russia instead it seems, but you may not want to do that for various reasons (medical care, etc). And I can confirm that they will ask when you leave - my wife had to show proof of her registration at passport control both times we left to return to my home country after this law went into effect.
    – hyrate
    Oct 5, 2015 at 11:32
  • You can do this by post. I think they are very serious about compliance to the new rules.
    – Gayot Fow
    Oct 5, 2015 at 14:33
  • Persons having consular registration in a foreign country are exempt from this law.
    – ach
    Oct 6, 2015 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.