I've reading about SIM card in Cuba. In some websites talk about a tax of 3 CUC per day to have a Cuban SIM card. In other websites don't. What's the current situation? If I want to make local calls (1 or 2 per day) and access to Internet (2-4 hours per week), should I pay 3 CUC/day? If that's true, I assume that it will be cheaper to use a phone booth to call and an ETECSA wifi access point to navigate...
(...)talk about a tax of 3 CUC per day(...)
Actually it's not a tax, it's a regular service fee.
The information you are requesting can be found on the company website (in Spanish):
- The service charge is 3 CUC (+- 3 USD) per day
- The minimal duration of a contract is 3 days
- You need to pay all the daily fees in advance for the period you will be using the line.
- Phone calls are paid independently
- You also need to add funds to your account for a minimum of 10 CUC (+- 10 USD)
- No internet service (there is data roaming if you bring a phone from another country, but this is VERY expensive)
Additionally, there are wifi hotspots in most hotels and at a few public places in all major cities around the country, there is an access fee of 2 CUC per hour that should be paid in advance.