I'm a Chinese national, living in Belgium right now. I am thinking of departing from Azerbaijan, then taking a ferry to Turkmenistan, then Uzbekistan and maybe Kyrgyzstan, finally arrive in China.(within central Asian countries preferrablly by train)

For all the countries I would pass through, do I need a normal tourist visa or a transit visa?

  • 1
    At least for Turkmenistan getting a transit visa is pretty much the easiest way of visiting the country.
    – JonathanReez
    Dec 14, 2014 at 21:09
  • 1
    Also why not Tajikistan? It's fantastic! :D Go up the Pamir Highway (M41) into Kyrgyzstan, and then exit to China.
    – Mark Mayo
    Dec 15, 2014 at 9:34
  • Thanks guys! Mark, Tajikistan sounds also cool! How's their train system, I can't handle long road trip since I have a bad car sick. Dec 15, 2014 at 14:58

2 Answers 2


Not really. For example, Uzbekistan has a 2x72hr transit visa, but that really doesn't give you time to do much at all. You need to get a tourist visa, and a Letter of Invitation.

It's probably the hardest one to get (although Kazakhstan took me a long time when I was in St Petersburg).

The 'best' resource online for this at present is probably Caravanistan for those countries. They'll tell you exactly what the latest visa requirements are, but essentially, no. That Turkmenistan ferry is notorious for example, for not leaving on time - sometimes waiting a week before it departs, which makes it very, very hard to plan visas around, and would certainly cause you problems even if you could get a 'transit' visa that allowed you to use the ferry.

  • Thanks! I do hear ferry to Turkmenistan is at least easier than the one to Kazakhstan. The tourism visa is costly,though. Which countries in central asia have u been to? All with tourism visa? Dec 15, 2014 at 9:34
  • I went to Kazakhstan (twice), Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. User @peter-hahndorf has also been to a few. I needed visas for all, and a LOI for Uzbekistan. Was able to get visas on the ground for most as well, as I went. If you want to discuss, do leave a msg for me in the Travel Chat :)
    – Mark Mayo
    Dec 15, 2014 at 9:37
  • 1
    According to the Uzbek embassy, a transit visa still requires the letters of invitation: uzbekistan.be/visa%20regulations.html
    – MastaBaba
    Dec 15, 2014 at 10:22

A great resource for this can be found at Visa requirements for Chinese citizens (Wikipedia has a page like this for every country). On this page, you can see that although Chinese citizens do not need a visa for Azerbaijan to visit up to 30 days, a visa is required for all the other countries on your proposed itinerary.

Similarly, you can find additional information on the following pages:

The only one where a transit type visa is mentioned at all is Turkmenistan, where:

Citizens of all countries have the right to visa-free transit through the international transit area of the Ashgabat Airport.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .