I live in Ohio. I am currently in Washington, D.C. I am travelling back to Ohio by air on Sep 2. I have a Ohio state issued driver's license. Unfortunately, I realized now that the license is expiring on Aug 31.

I learned that one cannot travel on an expired license. Adding to this, I am on F-1 visa in the US.

My passport is not with me currently. Is there any way I can get any form of identification to travel on Sep 2nd?

  • 8
    Get a friend in Ohio to overnight your passport to you.
    – user13044
    Aug 26, 2014 at 13:17
  • 2
    see the TSA site for acceptable forms of ID - maybe you have one of these..
    – greyshade
    Aug 26, 2014 at 13:17
  • I have already looked at that list. Except passport, I do not have any other id. And I currently do not have my passport with me. Aug 26, 2014 at 13:19
  • 1
    Most states will issue a simple ID (it looks like a drivers license, but doesn't grant you the right to drive). I don't know if DC (or a nearby state) can do that on short order, though, but it might be worth looking into. They may require proof of residence within that state/region, though...
    – Flimzy
    Aug 26, 2014 at 13:35
  • 3
    I will say that the agent will almost certainly let you through with a driver's license that's just expired. They may not even notice. It's not guaranteed, and they might point it out to you, but people not having a replacement driver's license for one that just expired happens all the time in the U.S. and is quite understandable (renewals often take too long, etc.), and it's not like the license identifies you that much less 2 days after expiring. You're not using it to drive; just to prove that you are the person named.
    – user102008
    Aug 26, 2014 at 21:30

1 Answer 1


Then you have a problem.

According to TSA:

Q. Can I fly with an expired ID?

A. If you lose your primary ID or it has expired, TSA may accept other forms of ID to help verify your identity.

So if you have to obtain a driver's license to replace your expired one which for Washington DC, Virginia, or Maryland you will be required to provide proof of residence and a passport. So the only place you can obtain a driver's license now without falsifying records would be Ohio.

So you have several choices:

  1. Change your flight from September 2nd to something earlier then August 31st.
  2. Rent a car today drive to Ohio and renew your driver's license and drive back. (9 hours pure drive time to Bridgeport, OH and Back from DC)
  3. Have someone overnight your passport to you as @Tom has suggested.

Save that you may be out of luck.

  • 2nd is probably best as it's always easier to renew a driver's license before it expires than afterwards :)
    – jwenting
    Aug 26, 2014 at 15:03
  • Thanks! I knew option 3 is what I would have to do eventually, but wanted to look for any other easier option. As it is clear now, I will make my friend break in to my house somehow :P Aug 26, 2014 at 16:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .